Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Embrace Your Weaknesses; Call Them Uniquenesses

"I embrace my weaknesses and call them uniquenesses."

That line is in the recently popular Youtube video, "Epic Rap Battle." Honestly, when my little sister played the video for me, I thought the song was the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. I mean, think about it. If you haven't heard it yet, it's about two guys at a restaurant fighting over who gets the waitress's phone number. They have an "epic rap battle" to determine who gets it, and in the end, she just writes her number on the back of the bill and sets it on the table before walking away, leaving it up to the boys to determine who gets it. It's kind of stupid. But I heard it, and thought, "Hey, there's actually a line in that song that means something."

And I got to thinking.. which if you know me, that's not always a good thing. But I think it was okay this time.

I have weaknesses. You have weaknesses. We all have some sort of weakness, whether we want to admit it or not. We try to cover up those weaknesses, and make them seem like strengths. But I mean, let's be honest. We can't all be good at everything. We're human. We make mistakes and screw up. A lot. I mean, I know I do. My life has been a mass of mistakes and wrong turns because of weaknesses. So let's think about this. We have a weakness; actually more than one. Many of us try to cover it up. But especially after hearing that song, I want to embrace my weaknesses.

While surfing through the channels on TV, I came across an episode (well, I think it was Hannah Montana? But I don't know.) on the Disney Channel. Some random character said, "It's who I am. Accept it; embrace it; leave it alone." I laughed at this, and then continued to surf through the different channels until I found something better to watch. But as I was writing this post, I thought of that. Do we honestly need to change to be someone we're not, just so we can fit in, and have friends? Are they really friends if they don't know the real you?

Recognize your weaknesses. Don't deny that you have them, because that is a weakness in itself - denial. And instead of trying to cover up those weaknesses, embrace them, and call them uniquenesses. I know that since I've been doing that, I've felt a lot better about myself.

1 comment:

  1. I really like this post Taylor, it spoke to me way more than you could know. Reminds me of when you were there for me at Ridgecrest, your an awesome friend!
    P.S. That was Hannah Montana you quoted and I think it was Jackson. I'm such a dork for knowing that.

    ReplyDelete